VILLAGE OF CRIVITZ, MARINETTE COUNTY, WI
PROCLAMATION DECLARING A STATE OF EMERGENCY
WHEREAS, the World Health Organization, the United States Department of Health and Human Services and the Governor of the State of Wisconsin have declared a public health emergency due to the spread of the virus COVID-19; and
WHEREAS, the Village of Crivitz must prepare for potential spread of the COVID-19 virus and avail itself of all resources needed to respond to and contain the present and imminent threat of disaster that may impact critical systems.
THEREFORE IT IS HEREBY PROCLAIMED, that pursuant to Wis. Statute sec. 323.11 and 323.14(4)(b), in order to protect the public peace, health and safety, preserve lives and property, economic stability, and insure cooperation and coordination, a Declaration of Local State of Emergency is hereby imposed for sixty (60) days, subject to revocation or extension authorized by the Village of Crivitz.
FURTHER, that it is necessary and expedient for the perpetuation of essential services provided by the Village of Crivitz to temporarily declare, suspend or modify applicable Village ordinances, resolutions or policies in order to meet the needs of the extraordinary conditions caused by the public health emergency as follows:
- Chain of Command & Succession. The following shall be the chain of command and succession for all matters to be considered, decided or deliberated upon by the Village Board as authorized by statute, local ordinance and as directed in this proclamation. The power and authority conferred upon the Village President by law shall pass to the successor, and to the next successor, etc., upon the Village President’s absence or inability to carry out his/her duties:
Public Safety Chair
Public Works/Utilities Committee Chair
Parks & Recreation Chair
- Emergency Response Director: The Village President, or his/her successor, shall act as emergency response director for the Village of Crivitz during the period of this emergency, acting in coordination with the Village Fire and Police Chiefs, when applicable and subject to the chain of command for those departments. The Village President shall also act as the Public Information Officer during this emergency. All public statements on behalf of the Village from all departments must be approved through his/her office prior to distribution.
- Meetings & Gatherings of Village Staff & Officials: All in-person meetings and gatherings involving Village employees, staff and/or elected officials are suspended for the duration of this emergency with the following exceptions that may require such meetings and gatherings:
Fire Department: Fire calls and essential operations
Police Department: Law enforcement calls and essential operations
Utility & Public Works Department: Essential maintenance and emergency response to system alarms.
Administration: Statutory duties not waived by the state and emergency response. All other duties on work from home basis, where possible.
Elected officials: Meetings will be conducted remotely, with access granted to the public to the full extent practicable.
Meetings or gatherings held under exceptions are directed to maintain social distancing and other directives or recommendations of the federal and state departments of health whenever possible.
- Business Travel: All Village of Crivitz business travel is suspended for the duration of this emergency. Exceptions may be granted by the Village President in the case of travel related to the emergency.
- Village Facilities: All Village Buildings shall be closed to the public, except for statutorily required functions. To the extent possible, all operations shall be made available on-line and/or available for external drop off. Exceptions for special circumstances may be granted.
- Village Resources: To the extent possible, the full allocation of Village resources shall be available to ensure the continuation of core Village services in the midst of the pandemic.
- President Authorized to Make Emergency Expenditures: The Village President is authorized to make emergency expenditures to procure equipment and supplies needed to facilitate directives contained in this proclamation and for reasonable and prudent emergency response.
- President Authorized to Enact Temporary Personnel Polices. The Village President is authorized to enact temporary personnel policies regarding quarantine, sick leave and any other issues that are directly related to the public health emergency and are consistent with federal and state guidelines and directives during this state of emergency.
- President Authorized to Enact Temporary Rules and Ordinances. The Village President is authorized to enact temporary rules or ordinances, subject to fine where appropriate, that are directly related to the public health emergency and are consistent with federal and state guidelines and directives during this state of emergency.
- Violation of Law Relating to Health. Section 8-1-8 of the Village of Crivitz Code of Ordinances is hereby created to read: Violation of law relating to Health. No person or entity shall willfully violate or obstruct the execution of any of the following relating to the public health: federal statute, state statute, emergency order or emergency rule issued by the federal government, by the State of Wisconsin, by Marinette County, Wisconsin, and by the Village of Crivitz, Wisconsin. Each day of a continuing violation shall be considered a separate offense. The penalty for a violation of this ordinance is a forfeiture of $250.00 plus all court costs.
The Village Board of the Village of Crivitz shall be notified by the filing of this written declaration with the Village Clerk as soon as practicable and without delay and the Village Clerk shall present the written declaration to the Village Board for ratification at its first meeting following such declaration.
As Chief Elected Official of the Village of Crivitz in testimony where of I, Village President Kurt M. Kostuch, hereunto set my hand and have caused the great seal of the Village of Crivitz to be affixed.
THIS DECLARATION OF A STATE OF EMERGENCY is enacted this 25th day of March, 2020.
Kurt M. Kostuch